The National Emergency Maternal and Child Health Intervention Centre (NEMCHIC) is a national coordination center that provides oversight on reproductive, maternal, newborn, child and adolescent health and nutrition (RMNCAH + N) activities at primary health care and community levels in Nigeria.
The Center was established by National Primary Health Care Development Agency (NPHCDA) following the declaration of state of public health concern on maternal and child health in Nigeria by the Agency on 8th April 2019
NEMCHIC operates across the recognized administrative levels in Nigeria (National, State and LGA). At the state level it is called State Emergency Maternal and Child Health Intervention Centre (SEMCHIC) and at LGA level it is called Local Government Emergency Maternal and Child Health Intervention Centre (LEMCHIC).
NEMCHIC operates through seven working groups that act as syndicates for all engagements in order to ensure consistency in approaches that align with the goal, mission, vision and objectives of the Center. The Seven working groups are:
- Leadership, Management and Coordination
- Strategy, Advocacy, Communication, Demand Generation and Social Mobilization
- Digital Health Innovations and Data reporting, Monitoring and Evaluation
- Operations and Centre Management
- Service Delivery, Financing and Health Facility Management
- State Engagement Desk
- Human Resource for Health (HRH)
PROGRESS ON NEMCHIC INTERVENTION
- As at November 2019 (seven months after the emergency declaration), NEMCHIC successfully established state emergency maternal and child health intervention centers (SEMCHIC) in five states (Bauchi, Kebbi, Katsina, Gombe and Taraba). This represents 13 per cent progress in the establishment of SEMCHIC structures in the country.
- The Centre has also established Local Government Emergency Maternal and Child Health Intervention Center (LEMCHIC) in 77 Local Government Areas across the country. This represents 10 per cent coverage of the 774 LGAs in the country.
- In all the LGAs, where LEMCHIC has been established, the Center donated delivery kits (Mama Kit) to all the PHC facilities.
- NEMCHIC’s community-targeted approach has also yielded improved awareness and demand for RMNCAH+N services at PHC facilities in all the LGAs that have so far been covered in the NEMCHIC intervention